Think about these truths from the Bible as you prepare to read today’s Scripture:
- Genesis 1:27: “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
- 1 Corinthians 7:23: “You were bought with a price; do not become bondservants of men.”
What do these verses tell us about our relationship to God?
READ THE WORD: LUKE 20:19-26 (ESV)
19 The scribes and the chief priests sought to lay hands on him at that very hour, for they perceived that he had told this parable against them, but they feared the people. 20 So they watched him and sent spies, who pretended to be sincere, that they might catch him in something he said, so as to deliver him up to the authority and jurisdiction of the governor. 21 So they asked him, “Teacher, we know that you speak and teach rightly, and show no partiality, but truly teach the way of God. 22 Is it lawful for us to give tribute to Caesar, or not?” 23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said to them, 24 “Show me a denarius. Whose likeness and inscription does it have?” They said, “Caesar’s.” 25 He said to them, “Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” 26 And they were not able in the presence of the people to catch him in what he said, but marveling at his answer they became silent.
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- In verse 19, what kept the scribes and priests from heeding the message of Jesus’ previously-told parable (Luke 20:9-18, The Parable of the Wicked Tenants)?
- Why was the spies’ question particularly crafty (vss. 20-22)? What would have been the result of a simple “yes” or “no” from Jesus?
- How would you explain Jesus’ message in these verses to a person who doesn’t have a relationship with Jesus? What was he saying? How does the idea that people are made in God’s image inform how you understand his response?
- Since you are made in God’s image, what do you owe Jesus?
RESPOND TO GOD
We bear the image of God, our creator. He made us and stamped us with his likeness. As such, we belong to him and have the opportunity to give ourselves back to him, rendering unto God the things that are God’s. In fact, all we have is God’s. He gives us our paychecks, abilities, houses, cars, jobs, relationships, and other resources. In what ways do you see yourself giving back to God what he has given to you?
- Ask God for wisdom about ways you could worship him with what he has given you. Write out one area you want to focus on this week.