Time with god
Our Daily Devotional is a bite-sized bible study that appears in your inbox, Monday-Friday!
It is so important, especially when reading passages like today’s, to take into account the big picture of the Bible. God’s mission from start to finish in Scripture is to rescue AND restore creation back to himself. His desire is that all would come to know him, but we find out very quickly in Genesis that there will be a division between those who follow God’s son and those who will follow the serpent. In today’s passage we see that judgment is coming, and that making the decision to follow Jesus is urgent and not something to put off.
- Have you made the decision to follow Christ? If not, what is holding you back?
READ THE WORD: LUKE 12:49-59 (ESV)
49 “I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! 50 I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! 51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52 For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
54 He also said to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising in the west, you say at once, ‘A shower is coming.’ And so it happens. 55 And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, ‘There will be scorching heat,’ and it happens. 56 You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?
57 “And why do you not judge for yourselves what is right? 58 As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison. 59 I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the very last penny.”
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- Prior to this section, Jesus exhorted his disciples to stay ready and acknowledge Christ without fear and no matter the cost. In verses 51-53, how did Christ describe what will happen to some who choose to follow him?
- Where have you seen a decision for Christ create division between people groups, families, or relationships? Have you experienced separation from others because of your decisions to follow Jesus?
- What is the main point Jesus made in verses 54-56? What are some things you observe about living in our present time which indicate that following Jesus is becoming more against the grain of our culture?
- What makes professing the gospel a difficult road to travel? What about following Jesus makes the difficultly so worth it?
RESPOND TO GOD
God’s entire mission of rescue and restoration is grounded in one core truth: his immeasurable love for each of us. Choosing God’s love, and living with and for Christ, is a difficult choice for many. It can put us in disagreement and even divide us from people we love. We live in difficult days where the truth of God and the way of Christ is becoming increasingly opposed. It requires that we cling to Jesus, daily choosing his love over the approval of people around us.
- Ask God to reveal to you any lies you have believed about him and about the world.
- Confess where you have chosen peace with people over following Jesus.
- Thank God for his love and mercy and recommit to following Christ today.
What to expect
The goal of Time With God is to help you connect with God through Scripture and prayer. Each of our daily devotionals will allow you to dive deeper into a passage of Scripture and teach you how to apply it to your life.
A word from our team
Welcome to Time With God! We exist to help you connect with Scripture and grow deeper in your relationship with the Lord. Our daily devotionals will provide you with an easy and accessible way to study Scripture for yourself, whether you are a new believer or a long-time follower of Jesus.
We created Time With God to be one tool among many that you can use to help you dive deeper into God’s Word and learn how to apply it to your life. Through spending regular time with the Lord, we hope and pray you would experience the peace and ever-increasing joy that comes with knowing and following Jesus.
Your daily email includes:
- An intro that provides greater context
- A short portion of Scripture to read
- Follow-up questions to help you dive deeper
- Ways you can practically apply God’s Word
- Prompts to guide your time in prayer
What people are saying
“Time With God gives me the help I need to study God’s Word. I can use it for a quick devotional time when I’m on the go, or I can sit down and really dig into the questions. I love that there is always a real-life application.”
“I know how important it is to read the Bible each day, and Time With God takes away any excuses I might have for not knowing where to start. It’s rich, simple truths about God that help me live my life worshipping Him.”
“For better or worse, most of us grab our phones first thing in the morning to scroll. Getting TWG in my inbox each morning helps refocus my first thoughts on Jesus in the Word. That time fuels the rest of my day in ways that social media never could.”