Social networks are all about connection. Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram connect people to other people and ideas that, in turn, often spread like wildfire. It starts with one person sharing a picture, a video, a note. Some “shares” turn into a worldwide, cultural phenomenon. Others make us laugh, and some give us hope and make us consider deeper truths. Today’s passage shows us that going viral is really nothing new—ideas have always spread through networks.
- How do you think valuable ideas are best spread?
- How would you get the word out for something you really believe in?
READ THE WORD: JOHN 1:43-46 (ESV)
43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me.” 44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. 45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found him of whom Moses in the Law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.” 46 Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.”
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- What was Jesus’ “methodology” for gathering disciples?
- When confronted by Jesus, what did these men do? How did they respond?
- How was the gospel spreading in this passage?
- As you encounter Jesus and the power of the gospel in your own life, how are you responding? Who can you invite to “come and see” Jesus?
RESPOND TO GOD
The gospel spreads best along relational networks. Earlier in chapter one, Andrew heard John the Baptist speak and decided to follow Jesus. Andrew then went and brought his brother, Simon Peter, to Jesus. Next, Jesus called Philip to follow him. Philip was from the same hometown as Andrew and Peter. And what did Philip do? Yep, he went and found his friend Nathanael, and said, “Come and see.” God uses the trust of relationships to spread his love and truth. It is powerful when your neighbor, your co-worker, or your friend at the gym sees life change because of Jesus in you. Who in your relational network can you invite to “come and see” Jesus?
- Spend some time praying for the people in your life that need the good news of Jesus’ love for them.
- Ask God for wisdom and courage to tell your story of God’s love with the people in your life.
- Pray that the love and forgiveness of God will go viral in your networks.