I am the executor of my father’s will. As the executor, it is my responsibility to ensure that my father’s wishes are carried out according to what is written in the will, and also to make sure that any inheritance gets to the appropriate people. An inheritance is something promised to someone that will be realized at a future date. An inheritance is almost always the result of a strong relationship with the person who has crafted the will. Scripture is clear that those of us who follow Jesus have a future inheritance waiting for us based on God’s relationship with us and his grace.
- How does the fact that your heavenly Father has a future inheritance planned for you make you think and feel about God?
READ THE WORD: EPHESIANS 1:11-14 (ESV)
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- How have believers in Christ obtained an inheritance (vs. 11)?
- According to verse 12,what is our purpose?
- What must we respond to in order to receive salvation(vs. 13)?
- Who is the guarantee of our inheritance?
- God has provided an inheritance for believers in Jesus that is secured by his Holy Spirit. What is one specific way that you can live differently today because of this promised inheritance?
RESPOND TO GOD
When we respond to the gospel message—that we can receive salvation by placing our trust in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus—the Bible teaches that we are “in Christ.” He took our sin and gave us his righteousness, making us new people who can bring glory to God. We also learn from today’s verses that when we receive salvation, we receive the Holy Spirit, who comes to live inside of us and is a guarantee for our future inheritance. In other words, while we are waiting for our future (when we will be with Jesus), he gives us the Holy Spirit to show us that we can trust that we will inherit eternal life.
- Thank God for the Holy Spirit,who lives inside of you and is the guarantee of a great future inheritance in heaven with God.
- Ask the Lord to help you bring him glory each day.