Is there anything more heart-wrenching than seeing someone who longs to be loved by a particular person yet isn’t? Someone who tries to earn that love through performance? That’s what we see Leah doing in today’s passage.
- Have you ever tried to gain someone’s love by doing things that you thought would get attention and affection?
READ THE WORD: GENESIS 29:30-35 (ESV)
30 So Jacob went in to Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served Laban for another seven years.31 When the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. 32 And Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben, for she said, “Because the Lord has looked upon my affliction; for now my husband will love me.” 33 She conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Because the Lord has heard that I am hated, he has given me this son also.” And she called his name Simeon. 34 Again she conceived and bore a son, and said, “Now this time my husband will be attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore his name was called Levi. 35 And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “This time I will praise the Lord.” Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she ceased bearing.
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- What were Jacob’s feelings toward Leah? Toward Rachel?
- Verse 31 says, “When the Lord saw… Leah.” He saw her, and he showed compassion. How did he do that?
- What did Leah say after the births of her first three sons (vss. 32-34)?
- What did she say after the birth of the fourth son (vs. 35)? What is significant about the change?
- Are there any areas of your life where you are trying to fill a need that only God can fill?
RESPOND TO GOD
Leah’s desire to be loved was a natural one, but she looked for that love from the wrong source. She tried so hard to earn Jacob’s love while God was freely demonstrating his love and care for her. How often do we also try to fill a need in our life with something lesser than God’s provision?
- Thank God for his unconditional and lavish love for you. Watch for ways today that he is showing that love to you. Write them down so that you will remember them.
- Ask him to fill your needs, the holes in your life, with his great love.