Do you ever wonder if God is listening or if he remembers who you are? Do you ever wonder if he sees the hurt, feels the loneliness, or pays attention to the injustices taking place in the world? Today, we are shown that the God who put on skin and walked this earth does, indeed, care. He heard every cry from weary souls, and he cared so much that he went and saw for himself, with human eyes and human ears, the circumstances that affected them and whether they might be redeemed or not. He was present before he was a baby in a manger, and he is present now.
- In what areas of your life are you hoping to experience God’s presence?
READ THE WORD: GENESIS 18:16-21 (ESV)
16 Then the men set out from there, and they looked down toward Sodom. And Abraham went with them to set them on their way. 17 The Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, 18 seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? 19 For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.” 20 Then the Lord said, “Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave, 21 I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me. And if not, I will know.”
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- What was the Lord’s reason for going to Sodom and Gomorrah (vss. 20-21)? What did he want to see for himself?
- What did God ask in verses 17-18? What does this reveal about God’s relationship with Abraham?
- Can you relate to Abraham’s level of intimacy with God, or does God seem more distant to you?
- What thoughts, actions, or situations may be limiting the level of intimacy you have with God? What steps can you take today to remove those obstacles and experience intimacy with God?
RESPOND TO GOD
As Abraham and God walked toward Sodom, God’s desire to share his plans with Abraham revealed a deep intimacy between them. This is a reminder that God walks with us, that he likes being with us, and that he desires deep intimacy with us. He is listening to our prayers, and he is watching us on our journey—through every valley and mountain, every Promised Land and Sodom, every injustice. Our way is never hidden from him, and he desires to share himself with us.
- Whatever circumstance you are facing today, ask God to reveal himself in it.
- Ask God to give you eyes to see him when he does.