Since our kids are church kids being raised by parents who were also church kids, they’re the stereotypical little folks with their arms raised in class with the right answer for everything: “Jesus!” The great truth is that it is the great truth. As we mature in our faith, it is our desire for that truth to be evident in the lives we live.
- What impact does it have on our lives for Jesus to be the answer to all of life’s questions?
- What does a life of great faith like this look like?
READ THE WORD: COLOSSIANS 3:1-4 (ESV)
3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
- These verses tell the story of believers’ resurrected lives. How have we been raised (vs. 1)? What is our current state (vs.3)? What will happen when Christ appears?
- Identify the two action verbs that indicate our response to the incredible news of being raised with Christ (vss. 1- 2). How do you seek out and set your minds on the things above?
- What do you think it means that Christ is our life?
- How does the power of being with Christ impact how you seek out the things above? As you do this, how will your life on earth be different?
RESPOND TO GOD
The hard work has already been completed: we have died, Christ has raised us, and our life is found in him. In response to these great truths, Paul asks us to seek out and set our minds on the things above because that’s where Christ is. It’s easy to have our minds distracted by the things of this earth. Hard times will come and, when they do, we can set our eyes and our hopes on the radiant face of Christ, in whom all the power and fullness of God dwells. This is what it looks like to live a life of great faith.
- Ask God to help you seek out and set your mind on the things above.Ask for him to make your life reflect that he is your life.