Today’s story about a wedding is, at first glance, a little strange. Mary seems to be nosing herself into other people’s business and using her influence as Jesus’ mother to get him to help. But, when we understand that Mary may have been a hostess of a three-day wedding event, we see a woman that is compassionately caring for the reputation of a family and a new couple who would otherwise be shamed should they run out of wine. She is in a pickle and does the best thing possible.
- What do you do when you face struggle, trial or a predicament? Who do you turn to or what is your go to response?
READ THE WORD: JOHN 2:1-5 (ESV)
2:1 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Jesus also was invited to the wedding with his disciples. 3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.”4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- What was Jesus’ role at this party?
- Jesus used the same word here for Mary, “woman,” as he later did from the cross seeking to ensure she was provided for. How might knowing this adjust your understanding of Jesus’ response?
- What did Mary do, in relationship to Jesus, and in what ways is this a model for us when we are in trouble or in need?
- What situations might cause you to go to Jesus for help? What would it mean for you to “do whatever he tells you” today?
RESPOND TO GOD
Jesus did not disrespect his mother, but he did make it clear—his directions no longer came from an earthly family, but from his father in heaven. There is a lot going on here! And I am struck by the simple faith of a woman in a tight spot. She went to Jesus and did whatever he said and led others to do the same. How different would our lives be if we chose to do the same?
- Talk to God about the challenges or struggles in your life right now. Confess your fear, concern, and inability to manage it on your own.
- Ask God for wisdom and for courage and faith to do what he commands.