Today’s passage is John the disciple’s response to the confrontation between John the Baptist and his disciples in regard to Jesus and his credibility. They thought Jesus should not have as many followers as John. This is John affirming the supremacy of Jesus and witnessing to those who are questioning. He is presenting the gospel. I wish everything in life were this easy, this black-and-white, this clear. Let’s let today’s lesson rest on us a while and enjoy the distinct choice God gives us in his Word.
- How do you think you would respond if someone questioned you about the validity of Christ?
READ THE WORD: JOHN 3:31-36 (ESV)
31 He who comes from above is above all. He who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks in an earthly way. He who comes from heaven is above all. 32 He bears witness to what he has seen and heard, yet no one receives his testimony. 33 Whoever receives his testimony sets his seal to this, that God is true. 34 For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. 35 The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
1. What does verse 34 say Jesus (“he whom God has sent”) speaks?
2. Then, in verse 36, what does the passage say “whoever believes” will have? What will remain on those who do not obey?
3. How was John presenting the gospel here to the men who confronted him?
4. How are you personally responding to this gospel presentation in your own life? How are you living your life so that others may know and believe this testimony about Christ?
RESPOND TO GOD
Whoever believes the Son’s words has eternal life; whoever does not will not see life. Friends, this passage is so clear! We either believe Jesus was who he said he was, or not. God is true and so is the One whom he sent. So, it’s just a matter of do we believe? At the end of the passage, it says the wrath of God will remain on those who do not obey. The One who was sent from above speaks truth. I don’t know about you, but I do not want the wrath of God to remain on me! I want to be found faithful and in God’s favor. Don’t you?
- Prayerfully consider if you have acknowledged Christ as your Savior and the Lord of your life. If not, believe it today.
- Praise God for the precious gift of eternal life!
- If you have accepted the Son’s offer and do believe God is true and his word is true then, rejoice! Praise and thank God today for his indescribable gift!