In this day and age, everyone I know seems to have a lot of responsibilities. As for me, I have a career and a family. I volunteer and I exercise. I have to pay the bills, cook dinner, sweep, do the laundry, and about a hundred other tasks that keep me booked up. With all these tasks, it is easy for me to lose sight of the role God has for me in his kingdom.
- What are some distractions that may be keeping you from fulfilling God’s will for your life?
READ THE WORD: COLOSSIANS 4:2-6 (ESV)
2 Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. 3 At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— 4 that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.
5 Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
- What did Paul ask the Colossians to do in verse 2?
- Who did Paul say opens the door for the Word?
- In the passage, we see the words/phrases, “declare,” “make it clear,” “speak,” and “answer.” What do these verbs have in common in this context?
- List the things Paul instructed the Colossians to do in these verses. What is the end goal of these actions?
- To whom has God asked you to declare the mystery of Christ? What can you do today to follow God’s direction in reaching this person?
RESPOND TO GOD
In this passage, Paul calls Christians to pray and then act! It’s not enough to just pray for the lost; we are called to “declare the mystery of Christ.” What a responsibility… and an honor! We must make the best use of our time here on earth—continuing in prayer, being watchful with thanksgiving, walking in wisdom toward outsiders, and making the best use of our time. By focusing on these things, we will make an eternal impact for the kingdom instead of getting caught up in our day-to-day earthly tasks.
- Take a moment to evaluate your own prayer life. How can you work toward continuing steadfastly in prayer?
- Pray that God would give you gracious speech to communicate his Word to the lost.