Imagine being born into a family that was poverty-stricken and doomed by rampant dysfunction. You have no hope and no prospects for the future. You are all alone and left with nothing. Then, along comes a kind, gentle, and wealthy man. He graciously offers to take you into his family. Suddenly, everything changes. Your life is radically transformed from poverty to wealth and from uncertainty to assurance. You now have peace, stability, and a promising future. Your only responsibility is to become a part of your new adopted family.
- Describe how you would feel if you were rescued from a lifeless situation and adopted into a family that provided you with an abundance of goodness and security.
READ THE WORD: ROMANS 8:14-17 (ESV)
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- What does it look like for you to be led by the Spirit of God?
- What is the contrast between slavery and adoption in verse 15?
- In your own words, explain what it means that you are a child of God.
- What is the condition for being a fellow heir with Christ?
- Reflect on how the Spirit of adoption transforms your outlook and alters the way you respond to life’s circumstances.
RESPOND TO GOD
This passage of Scripture offers a depth of assurance. Beyond the emotions, beyond the feelings, is a deep conviction that placing your faith in Jesus Christ changes everything. You have the opportunity to yield to the Spirit of God, who takes up residence within you the moment you trust Christ. You are spiritually placed into the family of God. God becomes your Father and you receive infinite value as his child. The Spirit of adoption empowers you to face difficulty that prepares you for eternity when you will be delivered from the presence of sin.
- Ask God to empower you by his Spirit of adoption so that you do not fall into a spirit of slavery leading to fear.
- Spend a few moments thanking God for the life-transforming truth that you have been adopted into his family because of the greatness of Jesus.