Years ago, when I literally spent three days in the wilderness with God, I realized how futile my goals had become. I had come to a point in life where my decisions were driven by my need to be wealthy, renowned, successful—anything that would make me feel important and provide a lifestyle opposite from the world of obscure poverty I’d been born into. Despite a lifetime of attempts to make my mark on the world, God had already made his mark on me. My true purpose was to make his name glorious by sharing with others the abundance of life they would experience by choosing to follow him.
- Do you trust that God has given you a particular purpose in life? How is your life driven by this purpose?
READ THE WORD: JOHN 1:29-34 (ESV)
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”
English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
1. How did John first describe Jesus in the passage? How did this proclamation allude to Jesus’ purpose on Earth (the redemption story)?
2. What did John mean when he described Jesus as “a man who ranks before me, because he was before me” (reference John 1:1)?
3. By what sign was John able to recognize Jesus? How did this sign confirm Jesus’ identity?
4. What did John say God’s purpose for his own life was? How is your purpose similar? Different?
RESPOND TO GOD
John the Baptist did not know Jesus, yet he obediently answered God’s call for him to bear witness to Israel about the coming of the Messiah. John preached a resounding message for repentance because he knew one would come that would ultimately take away the sins of the world. God has called each of us to share a message of repentance, redemption, and the return of the Christ who came to reconcile us back to God for eternity. Are you living your life in the purpose God created you for?
- Pray that God reveals to you the purpose of the life he’s given you for his glory while on earth.
- Seek God for opportunities to share with the world who Jesus is.